Disabling NetBIOS Over TCP/IP
This article explains the steps required to disable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP on a Windows 2008 R2 Core Services Server.
Due to the stripped down nature of Wndows 2008 R2 Core Services, the easiest way to disable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP is by using the wmic command.
To disable NetBios over TCP/IP using the wmic command perform the following steps :-
- At the command prompt execute the following
- Navigate through the Registry to the following Key :-
- Listed are the Network Interface GUID’s
- Click on the Network Interface GUID you wish to disable NetBIOS for and edit the NetbiosOptions value
- Change the NetbiosOptions setting from 0 to 2
- Reboot the server by executing the command shutdown /r /f /t 0