Openfiler – Integrating in to an Active Directory infrastructure
Openfiler can be integrated in to an Active Directory infrastructure and this article explains the steps to perform the integration in to an Active Directory infrastructure are provided.
The infrastructure used to perform this article is running on a Fedora Core 8 64-bit server running VMware Server 1.0.8 hosting a Windows 2003 Domain on an internal network.
The installation of the Fedora Core host server and Windows 2003 Domain are out side the scope of this article and it is assumed that you will have the necessary infrastructure available (Physical or Virtual) to perform the steps in this article.
In order to integrate Openfiler in to an Active Directory infrastructure the following pre-requisites must be met :-
- An Openfiler server with Netwrk Access configured
- A Windows Domain Controller
- DNS configured for the Domain
Enabling the Services
The first thing to check is that the necessary Services are started and to do this through the web administration console perform the following steps :-
- Click on the Services option
- Click on Enable next to the SMB / CIFS service to enable access to Windows file share resources.
- Click on the SMB / CIFS Setup option in the Services section
- Configure the Server string to the name required for the server in Windows
- Set the NetBIOS name to the name required for the server
- Set the WINS server to the appropriate address if required
Joining Active Directory
The next step is to configure the Accounts section of the Openfiler so that it can utilise the Active Directory for its access control. To configure account access perform the following steps :-
- Click on the Accounts option
- Scroll down if necessary and tick the Use Windows domain controller and authentication
- Set the security model to Active Directory
- Set the Domain / Workgroup to the NetBIOS Domain Name you wish to join
- Set the Domain Controllers to the FQDN of your Domain Controller
- Set the ADS Realm to the FQDN of your Domain
- Tick the Join to Domain option
- Set the Administrator User and Passwords to an account with privileges to add a machine to the Domain
- Click on Submit to join the Domain
It may take a while for the web administration page to refresh but once refreshed reboot the Openfiler by clicking on the Shutdown option in the top right of the screen and selecting the Shutdown and reboot option.
Confirming the server has joined successfully
Once the server has rebooted log back on to the web administration page and click on the Accounts tab. Click on the Group List option in the Accounts section and confirm that your Active Directory Groups are listed.