XenApp 6.x – Pre-Populating A StoreFront Web Site With Published Applications
This article provides the steps to pre-populate a StoreFront Web Site with Published Applications from a XenApp 6.5 Farm.
With the move to StoreFront Citrix has gone down the user Self Service route where users can choose which applications they wish to see in their Web Session allowing them to only display applications they use. A downside to this is that when you set up a StoreFront Web Site initially it not only shows the Desktops Tab as a default if you have Published Desktops available but also shows a blank page on the Apps Tab.
To ease migration for users you can pre-populate the Apps Tab with key applications which all users will use for example Outlook, Word, and Excel.
To pre-populate the Apps Tab with key applications which all users will use perform the following steps :-
- Logon to a XenApp Server in the Farm with the Citrix AppCenterinstalled
- Open the Citrix AppCenter and expand the Applications branch in the Left Hand Pane
- Locate the Published Application you wish to pre-populate the StoreFront Web Site with, for example Outlook
- Right Click the Published Application and selectApplication Properties
- Click on the Name option in the Left Hand Pane
- Under the Application Description enter KEYWORDS:Auto
- Click on OK to update the application
The Published Application will now be shown in the Apps Tab of the StoreFront Web Site when users logon.
Web Interface Caveat
If you’re migrating users from an existing Web Interface Site to a new StoreFront Web Site it should be noted that the Web Interface Site will display the Application Description under the Published Application icon.
One way to avoid this one approach to avoid this is :-
- Duplicate the Published Applications you wish to pre-populate a StoreFront Web Site with
- Create a new Active Directory Group for StoreFront users
- Publish the duplicated Published Application to the StoreFront users Active Directory Group
This approach does mean that during the transition period you will have multiple Published Applications of the same application on the Farm but it will avoid display changes in the existing Web Interface Site.