Cacti W2K3 4 – Installing PHP For Windows 5.3.8
The following article explains how to install and initially configure PHP For Windows 5.3.8 on to a Windows 2003 Standard Edition Server.
The environment used for this installation was a Windows 2003 Standard Edition Server Virtual machine attached to an Active Directory Domain and running under a VMware ESXi 4.0 host.
Obtaining The Software
As with Apache, the best way to install PHP for use with Apache on Windows and Cact is to download the ZIP file here.
Installing The Software
Once the ZIP file has been downloaded perform the following steps to install it on to the server :-
- Logon as an Administrative user to the server
- Navigate to where the PHP ZIP file was saved
- Unzip the ZIP file (php-5.3.8-Win32-VC9-x86.zip in my case) to the C: drive
- The ZIP file with create a new folder on the C: drive called C:\PHP
To configure PHP once installed perform the following steps :-
- Right Click on My Computer and select Properties
- Click on the Advanced Tab and click on the Environment Variables buttons
- Prepend C:\PHP\; to the PATH variable
- Create a new syetem variable named PHPRC and set it to C:\PHP\
- Copy the file C:\PHP\php.ini-production to C:\PHP\php.ini
- Open the file and search for the text ; extension_dir = “ext” and change it to the following :-
extension_dir = “C:\PHP\ext”
- Next search for the text ; extension=php_mysql.dll and change it to the following :-
- Next search for the text ; extension=php_sockets.dll and change it to the following :-
- Next search for the text ; cgi.force_redirect = 1 and change it to the following :-
cgi.force_redirect = 0
- Save and Exit the file
PHP is now installed and configured ready for use.